Saturday, January 21, 2017

Busses, trains, trams, and skiis

Helsinki, has great public transportation.  Many Finns living here do not own cars and rely exclusively on mass transit.  The electric trams run all throughout the city, and you don't have to wait long for one.  The trains are very smooth, modern, and fast.  Getting to neighboring cities is easy and doesn't cost too many euros.  
Inside the City Tram

Helsinki Train Hub
Nat riding the rails

City Tram stop

Nearly all Finns learn to cross country ski and skate at a young age.  Though there are some downhill areas, the country as a whole is pretty flat.  Cross country skiing is huge and a part of Finnish identity.  In Seattle I thought I was a  moderately decent skier, but here I feel like a real beginner as Finns young and old fly by me on the trail!  But the skiing is great!  A popular ski area is Paloheina about 30 minutes from here by bus, with pretty easy going terrain.  Nat and I went farther north to Lahti yesterday, where they have a world class ski area and will be hosting the Nordic World Ski Championships later this year.  That area was intense, huge uphills that tested my confidence.  









Don't worry mom...I did not go down that!

Ski Lodge at Lahti





No comments:

Post a Comment